Pepperoni pizza recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 250g passata
- 1 tbsp sun-dried tomato purée (or regular tomato purée)
- A few fresh oregano sprigs, leaves picked (or 2 tsp dried oregano)
- 2 x 125g balls fresh mozzarella, torn
- 100g sliced pepperoni or chorizo
- Fresh basil and Parmesan shavings to serve
- For the PIZZA BASE
- 225g strong plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 2 tsp olive oil, plus extra for ?greasing
- 1. To make the pizza base, sift the flour and salt into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar and yeast. Measure 150ml lukewarm water in a jug. Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the oil and a little of the water. With lightly oiled hands, gradually mix the flour into the liquid, adding a little more water until it comes together (you may not need it all).
- 2. Dust a work surface with flour. Tip out the dough, scraping out any that sticks to the bowl. Knead for 5-10 minutes until smooth and soft. Put in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- 3. To make the sauce, heat the oil in a sauté pan, then gently fry the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the passata, tomato purée and oregano, then season well. Simmer for 10 minutes or so until reduced to a spreadable sauce, then set aside.
- 4. Preheat the oven to its highest temperature with 2 baking sheets inside. Gently knock the air out of the dough and divide in half. Knead each piece briefly on a lightly floured surface, then, rolling and pulling gently with your hands, stretch out the dough to fit the baking sheets (about 27cm). Don’t worry if they’re misshapen. Put each base on a sheet of baking paper to help transfer them to the oven.
- 5. Spread each base with 2 tbsp of the tomato sauce, then dot with the mozzarella and pepperoni. Transfer the pizzas to the preheated baking sheets (still on the baking paper)
- and bake for 10-12 minutes until the bases are crisp. Scatter with basil and Parmesan, then serve.
PER SERVING 551kcals, 28.8g fat (13.1g saturated), 25.9g protein, 46.6g carbs (3g sugars), 2.8g salt, 3.3g fibre
Cheese and bacon scone pizza
FOR THE SCONE BASE
- 250g/9oz plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50g/2oz butter, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 green pepper, quartered, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 5 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup mixed with 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 85g/3oz mature cheddar, grated
- Heat oven to 220c/fan 200c/gas 7. Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl, then rub in the butter until you have something that looks like very fine crumbs. Mix together the eggs and milk, then stir into the dry ingredients to make a soft dough.
- Shape into a round on a lightly floured surface, lift onto a non-stick baking tray, then press out to a circle about 24cm across to make the pizza base.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, then stirfry the pepper and bacon until the pepper is soft. Take off the heat, then stir in the spring onion.
- Spread the ketchup over the pizza base, then tip the pepper and bacon mixture evenly over the top.
- Scatter over the tomatoes, followed by the cheese. Bake for 15 minutes until golden. Serve with a salad or coleslaw.
Barbecue Chicken Pizza Recipe
Pillsbury Thin Crust Dough (in the refrigerated section next to biscuit dough)
1/2 cup barbecue sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's)
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
1/2 of a red onion, sliced thinly
2 grilled chicken breasts, chopped (season raw breasts with salt and pepper and grill or pan fry til fully cooked)
handful of cilantro, chopped
1. Follow directions on package of pizza dough
2. Using a silicone brush (or whatever spreading tool you have), spread BBQ sauce evenly over the crust
3. Coat chicken breast pieces with 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
4. Sprinkle chicken and red onion on crust
5. Top with mozzarella cheese
6. Follow package directions for baking pizza after adding toppings
NOTE: Use the regular mozzarella cheese and not the low fat kind because it will turn out dry and not melty. Also, do not leave pizza in the oven more than is recommended on dough package or else the crust will burn.
Kid's Pizza Recipe
- 225g strong plain flour
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150ml warm water
- Extra flour for kneading
- Olive oil for greasing and drizzling
- 150ml warm water
- 6 heaped tsp pesto
- 125g mozzarella cheese
- 10-12 small mushrooms
- 1 small red pepper
- Mixing bowl and damp cloth
- Tablespoon and measuring jug
- Cutlery knife
- Plastic bag
- Kitchen towel and baking sheet
- Chopping board
- Small vegetable knife
How to make kid's pizzaSet the oven to: 425@F, 220@C, 200ºC fan, or gas 7.
Sift the flour into the bowl. Add the yeast.
Use your fingers to make a well in the centre of the flour and add the olive oil, then slowly add the warm water and mix into a dough with a cutlery knife. Use one hand to bring the dough together. Wipe the dough (like a dishcloth) round your bowl to clean it.
: Sift some flour onto a clean, smooth surface and knead the dough by pushing and pulling it around with the palm of your hand and the tips of your fingers, keeping it in a big ball all the time. Knead your dough for 10 minutes until it feels really stretchy, like elastic.
Grease the bowl and put the dough inside it, then cover it with a plastic bag. Leave the dough in a warm place for an hour, until it is twice as big.
Knead your dough again for 2-3 minutes and divide it into six balls. Shape and flatten them into 10cm circles and place them on a baking tray.
Spread a teaspoon of the Pesto Presto onto the top of each pizza.
Cut the mozzarella into six slices and tear each slice into smaller pieces. Scatter these over the pizzas.
Wipe 6-8 small mushrooms with kitchen towel, slice them thinly and scatter them on the pizzas. Drizzle a little olive oil over the mushrooms. Chop up the red pepper and sprinkle it on the pizzas.
Put the pizzas in the oven, near the top, for 10-12 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the pizzas are golden brown.
Chicken Pizza recipe
- 1 (12-ounce) portion fresh pizza dough $
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided $
- 2 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cubed $
- 1 (4-ounce) link sweet Italian sausage, casing removed $
- 1/4 cup vertically sliced onion $
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 4 ounces fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1. Let dough rest, covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, chicken, and sausage; sauté 5 minutes. Remove mixture from pan. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 4. Punch dough down. Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal. Roll dough out to a 14-inch circle on baking sheet. Brush dough with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with 2 ounces cheese. Arrange chicken mixture, vegetable mixture, and bell pepper over cheese, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Top with remaining cheese and crushed red pepper. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with herbs. Cut into slices
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (12-inch) prebaked refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups diced green, red, and yellow bell pepper (about 3 small peppers)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
PreparationPreheat oven to 450°.
Combine seasoning, tomato paste, and water in a small bowl; stir well. Spread over pizza crust. Top evenly with cheese. Sprinkle bell pepper and onion evenly over cheese.
Bake at 450° for 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese melts. Cut into 6 wedges, and serve.
Tip: Bell peppers come in an assortment of colors: green, red, yellow, orange, brown, and purple. The color depends on variety and ripeness. When peppers are picked before they reach maturity, they are green. But when left on the vine a little longer, a pepper ripens and changes color, depending on its variety
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 small zucchini, ends trimmed, cut in half lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (or 2 Tbsp. fresh, chopped)
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 475°F. Brush bottom of a 16- by 11-inch rimmed baking sheet with 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Roll out and press pizza dough evenly to cover bottom of pan. (If dough resists at first, let it rest for a few minutes and then continue.) Spread tomatoes over dough. Sprinkle with zucchini slices, then with oregano. Scatter cheese and olives on top.
- Bake until underside of crust is golden (you can lift up pizza with a spatula and take a peek) and cheese is lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Drizzle with remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Let pizza stand for 5 minutes on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
Roasted vegetable & feta pizza
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 1.5cm cubes
- 1 red and 1 yellow capsicum, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large fat-free pizza bases
- 100ml tomato passata (sieved tomatoes)
- 120g low-fat feta, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 180°C. In a large baking tray (to fit vegetables in a single layer), toss pumpkin, capsicum, onion and zucchini with oil, then season. Roast for 10 minutes, then remove zucchini and place in a large bowl. Return tray to the oven for 10 minutes or until pumpkin is tender and capsicums are a little charred at the edges. Add to zucchini and toss with balsamic, then set aside.Step 2 Increase oven temperature to 200°C. Wipe tray clean and place bases on tray. Spread passata on bases and top with vegetables, reserving any balsamic. Top with feta and bake for 15-20 minutes until feta is golden. Toss basil in reserved balsamic and scatter over pizzas to serve